Start your free trial today
No credit card required
In this article 👇
But what does it mean? In the simplest terms, “live operations” refer to the practice of updating, evolving, and keeping the game engaging.
But this is not meant to focus on the technical side or fix bugs, which is a common misunderstanding. In reality, it is a much broader concept that involves active and engaged game management.
LiveOps allows developers to create dynamic gaming environments that change to keep players interested and excited.
How it Shakes up the Gaming World
LiveOps redefines the mobile gaming landscape, leaving an indelible mark on how games are developed, updated, and managed. The adoption of this strategy has skyrocketed in recent years due to the competitive edge it provides developers in a saturated market.
Before LiveOps, games were generally static; the gaming experience remained unchanged post-release except for occasional updates addressing bugs and glitches.
But now with LiveOps, games have transformed into dynamic entities, introducing a continuous flow of updated content, in-game events, and updates that align with players.
Let’s take a look at the most popular mobile game, Clash of Clans, for example. Supercell has found a way to engage its players with challenges, special events, and regular updates (which all count as a LiveOps strategy).
This continuous content allows them to maintain the game to keep their players, grow their community and increase their revenue. Also, all of those make the game even more enjoyable for players.
Getting to Know LiveOps
LiveOps can be divided into two main categories: Technical & Creative.
Technical features include robust back-end systems capable of delivering updates and original content. This involves everything from cloud-based services that scale on demand to analytics tools that track player behavior and provide actionable insights for developers.
The creative aspect involves developing content, devising in-game events, and improving the gaming experience. Which requires a deep knowledge of the game’s community and a commitment to keeping gameplay fresh and engaging.
Together, they create a compelling environment where the game can thrive and remain compelling for a long time after its initial release.
Why Do Game Developers Love LiveOps?
Among many reasons, there is one primary reason why developers do love LiveOps. That is because with the introduction of regular content and events players feel encouraged and continue to play for longer periods. For developers, this means higher revenue.
Also, LiveOps provides developers with valuable insights into player behavior and preferences. With this data at their fingertips, they can tweak the game in real-time, making adjustments to the gameplay experience.
How Adds Fun for Players
Now, let’s talk about the fun part — how LiveOps improves gaming experiences.
- Dynamic Content: It brings dynamic content to the table, which means the game always offers something fresh. Regular updates, challenges, and exciting events keep players intrigued and provide fresh content to explore.
- Personalized Experience: Game developers can adjust the gaming experience for each player by examining their behavior and preferences.
- Community Engagement: LiveOps often includes community-focused events that build camaraderie among players. Whether it’s collaborating on a group challenge or competing in a tournament, these communal events add another layer of enjoyment to the gaming experience.
- Feedback Loop: It allows two-way communication between players and developers. Players can share feedback or suggestions and see them implemented in the game. This feedback loop makes players feel valued and heard.
Secrets of LiveOps Winning
LiveOps is a game changer, but how can you hit the jackpot with this approach? Let’s look at some key strategies and tricks:
Hosting Killer Events That Gamers Can’t Resist
One of the biggest draws for players to a LiveOps-centric game is the range and regularity of in-game events. Here are some ideas for creating irresistible events:
- Seasonal Events: According to a 2022 report from App Annie, games with seasonal events have seen a 30% increase in monthly active users. Aligning events with real-world occasions such as Halloween, Christmas, or Easter gives users familiarity.
- Competitive Tournaments: Host tournaments to harness competition power. According to a Game Refinery study, tournament-style events can increase in-app spending by up to 40%.
- Themed Events: Create events around popular themes or narratives. For instance, a superhero-themed event could tap into the current cultural zeitgeist and attract Marvel or DC fans.
Tricks for Making Your Players Stick Around… and Pay
Retaining players is an art, but when done right, it can increase your game’s longevity and profitability. Here are some suggestions that may help:
- Progression & Rewards: Design a clear and engaging progression system that rewards players for their time. DeltaDNA research shows that games that provide a strong sense of progression have a 60% higher retention rate.
- Personalization: Use data analytics to offer personalized experiences. Recognize the name, learn their game style, and provide relevant offers and recommendations.
- VIP Perks: Offer exclusive benefits for in-app purchases. VIP players could have early access to events, special items, or exclusive gameplay modes.
- Community Building: Build a community with social features such as chat, clans, and co-play systems.
Remember, the secret sauce to winning with LiveOps lies in evolving and adapting to meet and exceed player expectations.
Learning from the Experts
There are many successful mobile game stories in the gaming world that can show developers what they should do when it comes to LiveOps. Let’s take a closer look at some of these games:
- Idle Miner Tycoon: This mining-themed idle clicker game is a prime example of done right. Kolibri Games has used LiveOps to transform Idle Miner Tycoon into a dynamic, ever-evolving game, releasing updates and hosting in-game events. This strategy has paid off, with the game reaching over 100 million downloads and ranking in the top charts.
- June’s Journey: Wooga’s hidden object game, June’s Journey, exemplifies how a creative approach to LiveOps can enhance player engagement. They introduced a “traveling” event where players exchange virtual postcards to travel to different countries. This innovative event boosted player engagement and revenue during its run.
- Empires & Puzzles: This game, a blend of match-3 battles and building a mighty fortress, topped with exciting PvP duels, uses LiveOps to remarkable effect. Games release challenges, heroes, and events that keep players engaged.
What Can We Learn from Their Success?
- Frequent Updates & Events: Updating content and hosting frequent in-game events keeps gameplay fresh and engaged.
- Engaging Gameplay Mechanics: Innovative mechanics that tie into the game’s core loop can increase player engagement.
- Player-Centric Approach: Listening to player feedback and adjusting is crucial to maintaining and growing a dedicated player base.
- Rewarding Progression System: A progression system that rewards players for their investment (both time and money) can improve retention and monetization.
- Community Support: Supporting in-game communities and social interactions can increase player satisfaction and retention.
A Sneak Peak Into the Future
As we delve into the next era of gaming, LiveOps continues to evolve, leveraging emerging technologies and adapting to shifting player expectations. So what does the future hold?
What’s Next for LiveOps?
- Personalized Experiences: With improved data analytics and machine learning, expect LiveOps to provide even more personalized gaming experiences. This could include adaptive difficulty, in-game events tailored to individual player behavior, or personalized narratives.
- More Cross-Platform Integration: As gaming becomes platform-agnostic, expect LiveOps to follow suit. This could lead to seamless cross-platform experiences and multi-platform in-game events, further enhancing player engagement.
- Deeper Community Integration: Community engagement is key to LiveOps success, and we can expect even more focus on community-building tools, from more robust in-game chat systems to shared world-building tools.
AI & Machine Learning
Artificial Intelligence (AI) & Machine Learning (ML) technologies are advancing, and they promise to revolutionize LiveOps in several ways:
- Personalization: AI & ML can analyze vast amounts of player data to create hyper-personalized experiences. This could lead to a game that changes based on player behavior, keeping gameplay fresh and engaging.
- Predictive Analytics: Game developers can anticipate player actions and responses to features or events, allowing for better planning and decision-making.
- Dynamic Content Creation: AI & ML technologies can help generate procedural content, allowing for endless, unique gameplay experiences for each player.
- Real-time Adaptation: They can adjust gameplay, difficulty levels, or the in-game economy in real-time, ensuring game balance and enjoyment for all players.
Ratic: The Superhero
Ratic, a powerful plug-and-play LiveOps tool, revolutionizes the mobile gaming industry. Designed for independent studios and publishers, Ratic is a game-changer, aiming to boost revenue and player engagement. Its rich feature set increases player retention, and monetization, and broadens audience reach. Its dynamic dashboard empowers creators, offering a suite of tools to infuse their games with elements that keep players engrossed.
A notable benefit of Ratic is its impressive time efficiency. In-house LiveOps development could take an average of 45 days – a substantial time investment that could be used towards other aspects of game development. With Ratic, this timeframe shrinks to 2-3 days. This acceleration allows game studios to deploy LiveOps strategies, keeping games fresh and exciting for players, while freeing up valuable resources and time.
Hungry for More
The LiveOps universe is vast and ever-evolving, teeming with valuable resources and communities for those who wish to further explore this fascinating domain.
If you’re a game developer eager to add LiveOps to your mobile games, Ratic could be the right partner with the plug-and-play LiveOps tool that is feature-rich, flexible, and scalable. It’s built to increase player engagement, boost revenue, and support you in maintaining an ever-evolving gaming environment.
From leaderboards to personalized notifications. Ratic has you covered. Its dynamic toolset can help you create engaging events, exciting reward systems, and a thriving community around your game.
Discover LiveOps potential with Ratic and take your game to the next level. For more information or to schedule a demo, visit here.
We've plenty of other interesting resources for you